a message for you.
please excuse my dust as this blog site is still under construction.
dear lord, I am rambling. time to stop.
(posted on Monday, May 4 by eii wyy nae.)
I am feeling bad today, all sinus-y and earache-y and my jaw - oh lordy, it shouldn't be legal for a jaw to ache like it's been aching, and all the teeth on the left side of my face just hurt and my face, too, is all achy-breaky and I think that little lymph node thingy the doctor always checks right there under the side of my chin is a bit swollen and I actually stood in line at the drugstore yesterday evening to get the good decongestant - the one where you have to sign a white sheet of paper before they'll take your money for it, the one that requires you to have your driver's license ready to be scanned, and I was really trying to not be annoyed about it - I was actually thanking the powers that be that at least they had the stuff, even if I did have to buy the 48-count box because the pharmacist said they were out of the 24-count, and, really, how would I know?, not being allowed behind the counter to doublecheck his truthfulness - but I was really wondering where all those people who lobby so tirelessly to keep us from having to present a picture i.d. before we can vote happened to be when this law was passed? I mean, surely if having to present your i.d. to vote disenfranchises the poor (and I admit here that I have no idea why that disenfranchises the poor, me being pretty poor myself)., this also must be unfair - if it requires an i.d. to get the stuff that really works, and if being poor = no i.d., well, then that's just wrong, isn't it?
Okay, I know it's silly, I know poor people have picture i.d.s and driver's licenses (like I said, I am one of them.) and that it's just a political game, but some consistency would be nice. Especially when you're feeling bad. And I was feeling pretty bad, and I was wishing one of those lobbyists was feeling bad also, and standing in line behind me.
Actually I was also wishing one of the folks who'd passed the law requiring this stuff to be behind the counter was in line behind me and really feeling bad, because I was not above taking my time to dig out my driver's license, and not above deciding to pay with exact change and looking for all that change in the bottom of my purse, because it's a silly law.
Truly.
They do nothing with your information. I asked once. They just keep that paper you've signed - just a plain sheet of paper, usually with lots of other signatures already on it - and if the police or sheriff's department or whomever (whoever? whomever?) wants to look at it, they can. None of your information goes into a computer database alerting law enforcement that you are buying tons of the stuff to use in making meth - however much that might be. And I admit here, being the libertarian-leaning person that I am (and now I am probably on the government's watch list, having made such a radical statement.), I'm glad of that, but so much silliness. And like I said, I wasn't feeling good. I even bought a new thermometer.
Just in case.
And though I am feeling bad today, I think maybe I am feeling not as bad as yesterday. I am hoping, anyway. I have not yet eaten and we will see how that goes. Sipping on a coke has so far not made anything worse.
The jingle box shown above is not glued down, and its silliness appeals to me today, so maybe I will finish that piece. I will finish watching Slumdog Millionaire, which, I admit, I am finding not fun at all. I much more liked yesterday morning's Vicky Christina Barcelona , even though it has the usual cliches about artists and photographers - that oh! you take such interesting photographs, oh, you must stop using digital; here, let us find you a film camera, you need a darkroom - it just drives me crazy because photography is photography is photography, and yes, there is that darkroom magic when you are printing black and white and can watch the print appear before your very eyes, but.
But. Photoshop is just a differet kind of magic. But I am just an old fogie and I have been in this business a long time, and I have developed film and hand printed pictures and hand retouched and hand painted pictures, and I perhaps no longer appreciate that first “aha & oooh & aahhh”, but still, digital is here, digital is photography, and I admit I love it.
The ever-wonderful Michael, who has been in the photography business even longer than I thought the movie was just ridiculous - a chick flick - a "you too are an artist" flick. He just rolled his eyes. But I wasn't feeling good, and it was nice & mindless & full of pretty people.
And I did see a dress I wanted. Penelope Cruz was wearing it.
Signed with love,
the diarykeeper, ' my charliegirl.